Thursday, August 21, 2008

Pear, Walnut, & Gorgonzola Salad with Homemade Roasted-Tomato Soup, and Cantaloupe Margaritas

Roasted tomato soup:

4 large tomatoes (cored & quartered)
3 cloves of garlic
olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Place tomatoes & garlic on a roasting pan & drizzle with olive oil. Roast tomatoes & garlic in a 5oo degree oven until you see them start to turn black on the tips. Transfer tomatoes and peeled garlic to a blender cup, and blend on high for a few minutes or until smooth. Strain into a saucepan. Simmer on low until you are ready to eat. Add salt & pepper to taste, and then garnish with greek yogurt.

Cantaloupe margaritas:

1 large cantaloupe
1 lemon
2 stems of lemon verbena
1/2 cup of orange juice
2 tablespoons of agave syrup
tequila (to taste)
cointreau (to taste)

Juice the cantaloupe by blending the flesh, and then straining it. You will likely have to do this in batches if you got a gigantic Whitton Farms cantaloupe as TCV did (thanks Keith & Jill.) Squeeze the lemons into the juice, and then add all other ingredients. 

The salad is pretty self explanatory. 
Sorry there are no stories about grandmas or food origin, but I gotta go. TCV has got to make a living too, and today is a busy, busy day.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Aw, but I want grandma stories! Oh well, the food looks great and the soup sounds so easy! I love roasted tomatoes, and those cantalope margaritas...um, wow. I wish I had more excuses to make fancy drinks. It's just me most days though and when I'm with friends, we go out. I need to host a dinner party or something.

VeganCowGirl said...

I love the soup recipe. Thanks! I think I will use it next week when I head back to work. Funny, Campbells tomato soup was my fav as a kid, but it is one of the only soups I have never made vegan...will give your recipe a try.